Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday's Workout

Vacation's over.

Nausea hit me in the middle of our flight home last night, and despite trying to sleep it off, I still had a churning gut when I woke up at 4 o'clock (2 a.m. Maui time!) to get ready for my CrossFit class. I debated whether to go -- I didn't want to puke (or worse) in the middle of a workout -- but in the end, I decided to suck it up and head on out. (I know, I know -- bad move. M just walked by, read what I wrote above, and told me I'm sick in the head.)

Thankfully, I didn't barf, shit my pants or pass out. I kind of wanted to, though, given the workout that awaited us this morning.

Time Trials:
  • 400 meter run
  • 500 meter row
  • 50 pull-ups
  • 50 push-ups
  • 50 Abmat sit-ups
  • 50 air squats
No strength skill practice today -- just straight-up racing against the clock. We took a few minutes to catch our breath between "events," but the point was to establish a benchmark time on each with which to measure future attempts. To do so, however, meant pushing ourselves to go as hard and fast as possible.

With a bad gut and not enough sleep, this did not sound pleasant. And it wasn't.

  • 400 meter run: 1:25
  • 500 meter row: 1:47.2
  • 50 pull-ups: 3:25
  • 50 push-ups: 1:02
  • 50 Abmat sit-ups: 1:16
  • 50 air squats: 0:52
The row was the event that really killed me (as usual). Despite having to row just 500 meters, going at a dead sprint meant I spent everything in my tank. Unfortunately, when the needle hit "empty," I still had another 200 meters to go. I was flat on my back afterwards, legs and arms twitching. My pull-ups (the next task at hand) suffered as a result.

Thankfully, I recovered enough for the final three bodyweight movements. They're in my wheelhouse, and quickly becoming my favorite CrossFit exercises. Plus: Unlike some boxes, we have mats in our gym, so I am pleased to report that I am ass-rash free.

Upon finishing my workout today, I came home, changed back into my pajamas, and went back to sleep. How could I not?

(Photo: William Warby)