A month and a half into P90X, I've become increasingly (obsessively?) curious about Tony & Pals. And why not? Not only are they ridiculously buff (with the exception of pasty Kenpo master Wesley Idol, who has the pallor and muscle tone of wet dough but could nonetheless break me in half), I'm currently spending more time with them than with my closest friends. Plus, many of Tony's cohorts have incredibly compelling backgrounds. Erik Stolhanske is just one example.Take Pamela Moore -- a.k.a. "Pam the Blam." Tony describes her as a "private investigator," which is already pretty fucking cool, but from her online bio, it appears that she's more than just a detective for hire. Among other numerous and diverse accomplishments, Pam:
- Studied with the Groundlings!
- Served in the Air Force as a "medical professional"!
- Earned a paralegal certificate, a grant-writing certificate, and a license to sell insurance!
- Started her own business!
- Worked as a legislative assistant for a politician!
- Has "been on the Space Shuttle immediately after re-entry" (whatever that means)!
- Was a contestant on "The Weakest Link"!
- Ran a homeless feeding program!
- Performed weekly readings for the blind!
- Lectured at Cal State Northridge!
- Authored a book under the pen name "Nashieqa Washington" entitled "Why Do Black People Love Fried Chicken"! (Here's the "About the Author" page from the book.)
- Runs a website called YourBlackFriend.com ("Your #1 Web Source for Questions About Black People") also using the "Nashieqa Washington" alias!
- Has provided commentary for NPR!
- Moved to Panama, and then Guatemala, and then Denver(?)!
Admit it: Of all of Tony's sweaty minions, Pam the Blam is now your hands-down favorite, too. Go friend her on Facebook!
[OCT. 2009 UPDATE: Pam contacted me after reading this post, and I had the opportunity to interview her at length. Read it here.]
[JAN. 2011 UPDATE: Pam's back with a new video -- and she's gone Paleo!]