Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Monday's Workout: Filthy

It's been almost two days since our Monday morning workout, and I'm still feeling a bit too exhausted (traumatized?) to write about it.

"Filthy 50" (Halved & Then Doubled)

2 rounds (or AMRAP in 25 minutes):
  • 25 box jumps (24")
  • 25 jumping pull-ups
  • 25 kettlebell swings (16kg)
  • 25 walking lunges
  • 25 knees to elbows
  • 25 push-presses (45lbs)
  • 25 "Supermans" (i.e., back extensions)
  • 25 wall ball shots (20lbs / 14lbs)
  • 25 burpees
  • 25 double-unders
I suppose a straight-up Filthy Fifty (in which you perform all 50 reps of each exercise at once, rather than splitting 'em up into two sets) is worse. But only slightly. I say this because there's something uniquely punishing about finishing the first round of this workout, and then realizing you have to start all over again.

For me, the first round actually felt decent. Although I kept banging my chin on the bar every time I descended from my jumping pull-ups, I sped right through all the movements until I hit the wall ball station. That slowed me down a bit, but the burpees weren't too bad, and I ripped through the double-unders without any trouble from my Achilles tendon.

According to the clock, it had taken me less than 12 minutes to get through the first round. I have a shot at finishing this workout in under 25 minutes, I thought to myself as I hustled back to do more box jumps. I can do this. I was determined to keep my foot on the pedal.

But with less than five minutes to go, I arrived back at the wall ball station again, and just lost it. My legs were fried, and my knees kept collapsing inward as I tried to jump up and launch the medicine ball up against the target. Before long, I found that I could no longer string together more than one or two reps at a time.

An eternity later, I finished my 25 agonizing reps, and started on the burpees -- but discovered that I was no longer able to physically push myself up off the floor. Ugh.

Result: 254 reps as RXed. The last time we did a full Filthy Fifty, it took me almost 30 minutes to complete the workout, so I'm going to tell myself that had I kept going, I would've certainly done better this time around.

Then again, I'm pretty good at lying to myself.