I'm a fan of Canyon Ranch's alpine muesli, and have had it every morning here this week. Why eat fresh muesli? Because it’s packed with protein and fiber -- plus, it's tasty and easy to make. Bonus: it’s German (or maybe Swiss?) in origin. Think about it: When was the last time you ingested anything German in origin that’s actually super-awesome for your health? (Besides beer and franks.)
Here's a recipe that I've adapted from the one used here at Canyon Ranch -- I like my muesli a little less runny than the original version.
2/3 cup uncooked rolled oats
2/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup honey
3 medium-sized apples
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries and/or raspberries
1. In a bowl, combine the oats, yogurt and vanilla extract.
2. In another bowl, combine the juice, almonds and honey.
3. Peel and grate the apples.
4. Wrap the apple in paper towels and squeeze out the juice.
5. You might as well drink the apple juice.
6. Add the apple to the juice mixture.
7. Stir in the berries and the yogurt mixture.
8. Chill and serve.
Makes approximately eight 1-cup servings.